From an account management standpoint, resource accounts are different from regular Exchange accounts.
A resource account:
- may or may not have an associated mailbox
- may be tied to a particular resource (such as a conference room) for scheduling purposes
- may not necessarily denote an individual
- always has at least one owner or an individual with 'full rights' access to the account
- may have calendar information shared or have delegate access assigned to users
- can be configured and accessed in Outlook, Outlook Web Access, or Entourage
- is always linked (via ownership, or full access rights) to another valid Exchange account
How to Mount a Resource Account Mailbox in Outlook 2016
Note: Not all resource accounts have an associated mailbox.
- Click File in the upper-left corner of the screen
- Click Info
- Select Account Settings
- Select Account Settings again
- Click Email tab
- Click Change
- Click More Settings
- Click Advanced tab
- Click Add a mailbox
- Enter the display name of the mailbox
- Click OK
- Click Apply
If you use multiple systems, contact IT Helpdesk and request Full Access Delegation.
How to Mount a Resource Account in Outlook Web Application (OWA)
- Start OWA and log in
- Wait for the Person icon in the top right corner to become a circle
- Left click on the Person Icon and select 'Open another mailbox'
- Enter either the Display Name or the email address of the resource account
- Click Open.
How to Delegate Calendar Permission in Outlook 2016
The following steps should be followed to set access for resource accounts:
- Go to the Tools menu
- Click Options
- Click Calendar Options
- Click Resource Scheduling.
- Select your desired options in the section for Processing of meeting requests
- Click OK
- Remove the check-mark next to "Default Reminder" at the beginning of the Calendar section
- Go to the Delegates tab
- Click Add
- Type the name of the delegate account
- In the Delegate Permission box, click Editor in the Calendar list
- Select Delegate receives copies of meeting-related messages sent to me or Send meeting requests and responses only to my delegate, not to me
- Click OK