Connect to a Network Printer
- Install the LPR Printer service.
Note: Missouri S&T managed computers have LPR printing by default and can skip this step.
- Open the Control Panel, click Programs, and select Turn Windows features on or off (you will need administrator rights to make changes to Windows features).
- Expand Print and Document Services and ensure that the LPR Port Monitor box is checked.
- Open Control Panel and select Add a Printer. This will open the "Add Printer Wizard" which will guide you through the installation process.
- In the Wizard select Add a local printer.
- Select Create a new port.
- Select LPR Port from the drop-down list in the Wizard.
- Locate the name of the printer to be installed. Check printer.mst.edu on the Printer Listing link.
- Populate the "Add LPR compatible printer" dialog box with the correct information according to the specific printer you are installing.
- Enter the name found in the Printer column in the Name of printer or print queue field
- Enter the name found in the Host column in the Name or address of server field
- If prompted, select Windows Update to install the printer drivers. Otherwise, select the correct "Manufacturer" from the drop down list and then choose the correct "Printer" model then select Next.
- Wait for installation to finish. It may take several minutes
Note: If the printer driver you choose has already been installed you may be prompted to select it from a list.
- When prompted for a Printer Name which will appear when you print documents. Use something you recognize and remember.
- In the "Printer Sharing" window, select Do not share this printer then click Next.
- Select Print a test page to make the sure the printer is working.
- Unselect Set as the default printer unless you want to change your default printer.
- Click on System Preference.
- Click Print and Scan.
- Click on the + to add a printer.
- Click OK and then Add and the printer will be added for you.
- Close the Printer Setup utility and the printer will appear in the standard print dialog.
To print to a PaperCut managed printer from an SSH session (PuTTY):
- Open X-Win32 (Start > Programs > X-Win 32 5.4 > X-Win32).
- Open PuTTY and connect normally (X-Forwarding must be enabled. All campus standard installs have this option set by default).
- When you are ready to print, type the command: papercut
- Print to the printer queue as you normally would.
- When prompted, enter your SSO ID/Password.