Social Security Numbers
Forms for reporting Social Security incidences on campus:
- Administrator Agreement
- Request_for_Authorization_to_Use_SSN_v3.doc [.doc]
Forms regarding Social Security Numbers, cards, or claims can be acquired three different ways:
- Downloaded from the Social Security Administration website here .
- Ordered by phone: 1-800-772-1213
- Or by contacting your local office:
SOCIAL SECURITY 1813 E 10TH ST
ROLLA, MO 65401
If you are aware of an incident where a social security number may have been compromised contact the IT Help Desk at 573-341-4357 (HELP).
In the event of an emergency, contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.
What You Need to Do
Register applications or business processes that currently use SSN with your Information Security Officer (ISO).
- Remove SSNs from databases and electronic files (Excel, Word, Access) where possible.
- Delete sensitive files that are no longer needed.
- Remove SSNs from forms and reports where possible.
- When storing SSNs or other confidential information in paper form, be sure to lock file cabinets and file room doors.
- Do not send SSNs via email.
- Do not send SSNs via fax machines unless absolutely necessary and verify that faxes are received when SSNs are sent.
- Image sensitive documents and shred originals.
- Use EMPLID, or some other unique identifier, instead of SSN.
- Dispose of paper and electronic documents containing SSN in a secure manner.
- Store files containing SSN on a secure file server (not a local or shared network drive).
- Request automation of 3rd party file transfers.
NEVER give out sensitive or confidential information such as your SSN unless you know how the information will be used and the transaction is secure and absolutely necessary.
What You Need to Know
The SSN Project is a University-wide initiative to enhance the secure storage and use of Social Security Numbers (SSNs). The University has already implemented measures to secure some broad uses of SSNs, but there’s still more that needs to be done. Applications and business processes will be reviewed to determine where use of SSNs can be discontinued, where it is required, and how to process SSNs securely when necessary.
For more information regarding the SSN Project, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Please contact the IT Help Desk at 573-341-4357 (HELP).