Windows 7 Decommission
Microsoft is discontinuing support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. Missouri S&T IT will also discontinue support for Windows 7 as of January 14, 2020, unless an exception has been approved and a service agreement has been signed. Campus departments are encouraged to work with IT to transition away from Windows 7.
NOTE: Effective December 17, 2019, all Windows 7 campus computers are subject to removal from the S&T Network.
The following reasons are why S&T IT is decommissioning Windows 7 computers on the S&T network.
- Windows 7 will not be safe once support ends. Microsoft will no longer release security updates to repair critical vulnerabilities in Windows 7, which means hackers will be able to exploit new vulnerabilities almost immediately.
- Support will not be available. Microsoft will discontinue Windows 7 support after January 14, 2020.
- Software may not be compatible. New programs released by Microsoft and other software vendors may not be compatible with Windows 7.
What do I do if I have a Windows 7 computer?
To request a Windows 10 upgrade, please contact the IT Help Desk by calling 573-341-4357 (HELP), visiting the IT Help Desk on the first floor of the Curtis Laws Wilson Library, or submitting a ticket online at: help.mst.edu
- Within the Cherwell Service Catalog select Technology Support, Computer as the Category and then Request Windows 10 Upgrade.
- Be sure to include the Building and Room information, Computer Name and add specialty software required in the Request Information text box.
Windows 10 upgrades are avalible for the following models:
Dell Optiplex 5040, 5050, and 5060
Dell Optiplex 790, 7010 and 7020
Dell Latitude e5450, e5470, e5550, and e5570,
Dell Latitude e6440, e6540,
Dell Latitude e7xxx (all Dell Latitude models that start with e and have a 4-digit number starting with 7)
If you do not see your model listed above and/or you are unsure, please contact the Help Desk at 573-341-4357 (HELP).