Desktop Enhancement Program
A 5-year computer hardware cycle for S&T employees
The Desktop Enhancement program is designed to provide computing solutions for all university faculty and staff through a five-year computer replacement cycle.
IT will provide eligible recipients with a base model computer through our contract with Dell. Departments will be responsible for additional costs associated with selecting a different computer within the program options. The program applies to both academic and administrative departments and is managed and implemented by the Information Technology (IT) department with input from key administrators and faculty. Academic departments are encouraged to utilize the Information Technology and Computing Committee (ITCC) of the Faculty Senate for concerns.
*Hardware prices are only available to S&T employees. You must sign in with your S&T account to access the hardware pricing list.
Each (100%) full-time, benefit-eligible, professor, faculty, adjunct faculty, instructor, lecturer with an appointment for more than two years and full-time (100%) staff members can get a new computer if their existing computer is more than five years old. Systems outside of faculty and staff normal usage (e.g. research-funded machines, machines packaged with instruments, etc.) are not covered by this program.
- Department POC (point of contact) is notified via email of the replacement list for the respective fiscal year.
- Department POC reviews and makes required changes. Departments are able to rearrange their respective computer replacement schedules within the intent, scope and constraints of this program. Changes need to be communicated to and approved by IT.
- Department POC selects new computer from options listed within the DE application for each individual due for a replacement. POC may also choose to send a link via email to each user to make their own selections at each department’s discretion.
- DE monitors will not be replaced on the same five year life cycle. An identified DE monitor will be replaced with an equivalent standard at no cost to the department upon failure. Additional or larger monitors are also available for purchase.
- IT will complete all technology purchasing for the DE program.
You may select a computer and available upgrade options but with some stipulations:
- You are able to choose a computer from the options identified in the DE application that is sent to you and on the IT hardware pricing sheet. The computers and options are resultant from the UM System volume purchasing agreements and those models that have passed IT infrastructure support tests.
- Your department authorized fiscal approver must approve all additional costs associated with your selection and upgrade options.
Department heads and assigned point of contacts will receive an email when it is time for their department’s annual DE selection is open. This email will provide a link to the DE application to the eligible individuals identified. If you would like to schedule a meeting for additional guidance on this program, please submit a ticket under IT Procurement>Hardware>Request DE Information.
The computer and upgrade options needed should be determined by what best fits your needs. IT is available to assist in determining which computer and configuration best fits your computing needs. When the base model will not satisfy your computing needs, IT has established consultation processes to identify more advanced computing needs. To initiate the process, please submit an IT ticket. This process will identify upgrades that will enable you to perform your computing duties more effectively and efficiently. Any costs associated with custom configurations will be borne by the requesting department. All computers below minimum standards will not be allowed on the network and all computers must remain compatible with the campus computing infrastructure.
No, all hardware purchased as part of the DE program is the property of Missouri S&T and will be managed and maintained by IT. This also means all hardware upgrades purchased as part of the DE program (e.g. larger displays, additional memory, etc.) must be returned to IT for redeployment.